Thursday, February 14, 2019

Where is the City's Center? On the Recent use of Measures of Central City Location

The title of this post is taken from a manuscript I just wrote and hope to have published soon. [Update: it is now published and available here] I will update this blog article with a link to that article once it is finished, but I am posting this now because I wanted to share the data and analysis file I used in writing the article.

The XLSX file is here.




The premise of this article is that researchers in urban economics need geocodes (latitude and longitude) measures for the "center" of a city. But, there is no single source of these data, for one reason, the concept of a city's center has many different meanings.

However, there are five databases that have been used in recent research, and I discuss these in the article.

If you need access to a copy of the manuscript before it is published and I link to it here, please email me at matthew.holian@sjsu.edu.


Where is the City’s Center? On the Recent Use of Measures of Central City Location


Matthew J. Holian, Ph.D.
San Jose State University
February 14, 2019


Abstract
This article lists and compares various measures of a city’s center, identifies research that has used the measures, and provides information and suggestions for analysts searching for appropriate measures and ways of using central city location.

No comments:

Post a Comment