Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 in (brief) retrospect

The U.S. stock market is up, gas prices are down, and the dollar is the strongest its been in a decade.


Over the last year: the S&P 500 index went from  1832 to 2059 (up 12.4%), oil prices fell 46%, and the dollar gained versus all of its 31 major peers in 2014. From the standpoint of the typical U.S. consumer/investor, this should seem quite good.

2014 was also a very good year for me professionally. I was awarded tenure, my university's Early Career Investigator Award, and had a paper accepted at a top field journal (JAERE).

It will be tough to make 2015 an even better year from a financial or professional standpoint.  But plenty of challenges remain, and so I am resolved to make a significant impact in 2015.  I will study how to strengthen biodiversity (while attending our good friends' wedding) in Costa Rica, present my research on how transportation planning techniques bias multimodal transportation infrastructure investments at the ITEA conference in Oslo, Norway, and explore housing and transportation decisions in Kyiv, Ukraine.

Hopefully, all of this will give me lots to blog about in 2015.

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment