Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Transportation Innovations, part III (bike share)


Here is a picture of one of the new Bay Area Bike Share racks.  This one is in front of San Jose Diridon train station.  The entire system has only been up and running for a month or two. While I see few people riding these, they fulfill a very specific need for me.  After my weekday night class lets my out at 9:15pm, I have only 15 minutes to make it to the train station.  Buses are not a viable option as time is of the essence!


Previously if I wanted to take the train, I would usually take my own bike on the train.  And while I don't mind the four mile ride from my home to the train station in the morning, when I get home late at night, I'm not in the mood.  Bike share enables me to take my scooter from home to the train station, the train to San  Jose, and bike to campus...and then home in reverse at the end of the night.  So I am a big fan.  There may not be many others out there like me, but perhaps the cost of operating the system is low enough to justify this mode for those of us who do benefit from it.

And of course, if any interesting data is produced as a result of bike share, that could be an added bonus!